Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How to get long, shiny, healthy hair!


What girl doesn’t want shiny and healthy hair?? It isn’t all that hard to do either! Just follow these steps and your hair will thank you!

(Just to start things off, I wanted to share my hair type: my hair is very straight and thin. It is oily on the top and dry and brittle on the bottom. Some of these steps might not work if you have different hair than I do. I’m not a professional – this is just a hair routine that I have found works for my hair type and texture.)

One of the biggest tips I can give is DON’T WASH YOUR HAIR EVERYDAY! (FYI: This doesn’t mean not to shower every day – just don’t wash your hair everytime you shower). Washing your hair everyday strips it of its natural oils which can delay growth and make it more dry, damaged and brittle. Many people feel gross if they don’t wash their hair everyday – trust me, I felt that way too before I got used to it! In the past if I didn’t wash it every day, it would become super oily (I’m talking rubbing pizza on my face oily!) But that was because my hair was used to getting washed everyday! You have to train your hair to go a few days in between washes – it doesn’t take long to get used to it either! And if your hair does get oily between washes use a dry shampoo! My favorite is TRESemmé’s Fresh Start Dry Shampoo.

On those days that I do wash my hair, my favorite shampoo to use is Redken’s All Soft Shampoo. All Soft Shampoo is infused with a keratin and protein complex, which brings moisture to your hair while it cleanses. This shampoo is known to be great for people with permanent extensions too!

What I use as a conditioner is actually a hair mask. My favorite is the Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque. I can’t say enough good things about this product – it is by far my favorite hair product and I will NEVER be without it. If you want to purchase a hair mask that isn’t quite as expensive, try the TRESemmé Nourishing Rituals Rejuvenating Mud Masque. Both of these are amazing products and both smell phenomenal! Also, only put these on the lower half of your hair so the top won’t get greasy (I only condition my hair when I wash it). These deep conditioners are safe to use instead of a regular conditioner as long as you don’t wash your hair everyday.

When I get out of the shower I squeeze the excess water out of my hair and spray It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product to the lower half of my hair. This product does 10 (amazing) things:
1.     Repairs dry damaged hair
2.     Adds shine
3.     Detangles
4.     Controls frizz
5.     Seals & protects hair color
6.     Prevents split ends
7.     Stops hair breakage
8.     Creates silkiness
9.     Enhances natural body
10. Flat iron spray & thermal protection


Next comb your wet hair with a WIDE TOOTH COMB!!! Your hair is at its weakest when it is wet and any other brush will create breakage.
When your hair is just a little damp, put to add Macadamia’s Healing Oil Treatment to the very ends of your hair to add a little more moisture.

Another part of my hair care routine is to always always ALWAYS use a heat protectant before you apply any kind of heat to your hair (hair dryer, curling iron, straightener, etc). Heat is quite damaging to your hair, so just spray this through to help protect your hair from becoming damaged! (TRESemmé Heat Tamer Protective Spray).

The very last tip I have for you is to get regular trims. This is the part that I have a problem with. I HATE getting may haircut, even if it is just a trim. I get anxiety from it (lol!) but I’m getting better :)


Let me know your favorite hair products to keep your hair long and healthy!

6 comments:

  1. I love Macadamia products! I use their leave-in conditioner every other day. And I can't live without the TRESemme heat tamer protective spray. I have to use it every time I straighten my hair. :)

    I replied back to your comment on my blog but wasn't sure if you get notification of it. So I'll answer here too!

    The brand of my peplum top is Soprano and the color name is Surf. Let me know if you need the style#. :)

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much!! I'll let you know if I need the style # after I go check out my Nordstrom Rack!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips!

    http://dashofglamm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you purchase "It's a 10" products? I've only heard great things about them! New followers here:)
    Laura
    A Brunette Duet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually buy mine at Ulta! You can sometimes find them at Nordstrom Rack for a few dollars cheaper too!

      Delete
    2. Thanks girl! I will be heading there this weekend!

      Delete