Friday, December 14, 2012

How I Contour & Highlight

Contouring & highlighting is probably my favorite part of applying makeup; you can completely change the shape of your face to make it thinner and more defined. Blush and highlights add a touch of color and give a dewy look to your complexion, which is perfect for an evening out. In this post I will tell you the perfect way to contour & highlight along with my favorite products I use. 

CONTOUR
Contouring is the perfect way to give your face a better shape while adding a bronzer at the same time. When I contour (which is almost every day) I don't use a bronzer over my face - I don't feel the need.

The first thing you want to do when you contour is find the perfect brush that will fit under your cheekbones. My favorite brush is Sedona Lace's FB05 Dome Contour Brush.
Next find the bronzer you want to use. My favorite is Benefit's Hoola Bronzer. This bronzer looks lighter than a normal bronzer but trust me, it comes out just as dark!

The easiest way to apply cheek contour for beginners is to make a fishy face (by sucking your cheeks in!) This will show you where the hollows of your cheeks are and this is the section where you apply bronzer.

Dip your brush into the bronzer (remember to tap off the excess). Then start your brush where the top of your ear connects with your head and sweep the brush down through the hollow of your cheek (about half of your cheek). Keep sweeping your brush in this area until your desired color is reached. This will form a dark line that won't look very good at first but don't worry, you'll blend it in after you apply blush!

To add a little more contour to your face, sweep some of the product to your forehead temples and on your jawline.

To contour your nose I use the Smashbox Definer Brush 15 and draw a line with the contour on both sides of my nose (the line almost connects your eyebrow down to the end of your nose). I also apply a little bit of product to the tip of my nose in an upside down triangle shape. This will also give you harsh lines on your nose, so make sure to BLEND all the lines downward! (Contouring your nose gives your nose a skinnier effect).



BLUSH

I switch up my blushes daily. I have a whole drawer full and just pick whatever blush I feel like for the day. Also I ALWAYS use at least two different blushes. Using two blush colors gives you a more natural color to your cheeks.

The brush I use is Sedona Lace 850 Large Angled Contour Brush. It fits perfectly on your cheekbones.

Two of my favorite blushes to use  are Lola's blush in Sunrise and Wet 'N Wild's Heather Silk                     


When most people apply blush, they put it on the apples of their cheeks. However, this can make your face look rounder and chubbier than it actually is. When I apply blush I put it right above my contour so it goes diagonally back near your hairline (if that makes sense). This effect complements your contour and makes your face more defined. 

IMPORTANT STEP: After I apply my blush I take a stippling brush or a flat-top brush and blend the blush and contour together so that there aren't any harsh lines.



HIGHLIGHT
Highlighting is a fast and simple way to give your face a glow without overdoing the amount of sparkle.

My all time favorite highlight for that perfect GLOW is Pop's Lush Blush in Rose Blossom. This is the perfect rose gold color that will complement fair or bronzed skin tones.
I usually just use my fingers to apply my highlight. I put it on my high cheekbones above where I put my blush, down the bridge of my nose and on my cupids bow (this makes your lips look fuller)!


Hope this post helped! It's kind of hard to explain my contouring routine without showing you, so if you have any questions let me know in the comments below!


4 comments:

  1. Great tutorial and tips!! I always love to make sure that I'm contouring and putting on my blush right. :)

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your lovely comment. Great post!!!
    I'm following you right now. hope you can follow me too!!!
    хохо

    Diana

    double-ganger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lex!!

    I just found your blog through the Mai Bug and I love your site! Tried to find you on Twitter though your link? Love this post!! Contouring is like a foreign language to me and you break it down and make it very easy to understand :-) I would love it if you checked out my blog so we can be friends!!

    XO Jenna
    Demureindiamonds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so helpful! Will definitely be using some of these techniques.
    New follower :)
    beautysplash75.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete